2 boxes yellow cake mix
3 tsp nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of water
2 T vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 lbs of sifted powdered sugar
2 - 4 T of water
1/2 cup Amber Rich maple syrup
8 – 10 slices of Applewood smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 and line mini cupcake pans (1” diameter cupcakes) with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, nutmeg, water, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Blend with a hand mixer or stand mixer for 30 seconds to 1 minute until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake lines about ½ full and bake for 8-10 or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Frosting: - Beat butter and shortening for 2 minutes. Be sure to scrape the bowl occasionally.
- Add in the maple syrup bowl and vanilla to the butter/shortening mix.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until buttercream is the desired consistency.
- Pipe using a number #12 wilton tip onto cooled cupcakes; top with small chunks of bacon.
Makes 14 dozen mini-cupcakes.