Yield: 8 servings
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk, divided
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp maple syrup, divided
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Sliced almonds, toasted
Pie Crust –
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
2. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
3. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
4. Bake at 450º for 8 minutes.
5. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Combine cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan.
8. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
9. Gradually stir in remaining milk and 3/4 cup maple syrup.
10. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
11. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
12. Remove from heat.
13. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks.
14. Return all to pan, stirring constantly.
15. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
16. Remove from heat.
17. Gently stir in butter.
18. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
19. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
20. Fold 1 cup cream into cooled filling; spoon into crust.
21. Fold remaining syrup into remaining cream; frost top of pie.
22. Refrigerate overnight.
23. Garnish with toasted almonds.
24. Refrigerate leftovers.
Jill Rainville, Lincoln