2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter a sheetpan.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture; mix gently. Add the egg and milk and syrup and mix just until the dough sticks together; knead gently.
3. Pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches (18 cm) round and about 11/2 inches (4 cm) thick. Cut this circle in half, then cut each half into four pie-shaped wedges (triangles). Place the scones on a baking sheet.
4. Bake the scones until nicely browned, about 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a scone comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. 5. In a small saucepan, melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Whisk confectioners’ sugar into hot mixture until smooth, and immediately pour over cooled scones.
Makes 8 scones.