Yield: 3-4 dozen, depending on size
4 egg whites
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 225º.
2. Add 2 inches of water to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
3. In a mixing bowl, add egg whites, maple syrup, cream of tartar, and salt.
4. Place mixing bowl on top of pot with boiling water (creating a double boiler) and whisk to combine ingredients, heat for 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and whip with electric mixer on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. Transfer to piping bag and pipe (or spoon) onto parchment-lined backing sheets, 1 inch apart.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
8. Turn off oven, leaving cookies until able to pull off the parchment without bending.
Phoebe Smith, Middlebury