Yield: 8 servings
6 slices of stale, crusty bread
1/3 cup melted butter
2 cups whole milk
2 tsp cinnamon
Large pinch sea salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup golden raisins (or dried fruit of choice)
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Slice bread into 1/2” cubes. You should end up with about 6 cups.
3. Butter a 12” cast iron skillet (or baking dish of choice). Place bread cubes into the skillet.
4. In a bowl, combine the butter, milk, eggs, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
5. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and use a fork to gently move the cubes around, allowing the sweet liquid to leak into all the cracks and crevices.
6. Sprinkle golden raisins over the top.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the bread pudding is just set. You don’t want it “set” set but you don’t want it too jiggly (or you’ll have bread soup). Just a gentle jiggle in the middle is all you need.
Jill Rainville, Lincoln